CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, May 11, 2009

Chapter's 8-9 in the perspective of Ms. Maudie

At the end of the year, the seasons switched. One morning I woke up during autumn and slushy snow covered the ground. Mr. Avery seemed to convince all of the neighborhood children that the reason the seasons were unusual was because of something inscribed in the Rosetta Stone. That same winter, Mrs. Radley passed away from natural causes. I went to visit the Radley home, along with many other neighbors, to send my love to the family and my goodbye to Mrs. Radley. Nathan Radley thanked me for coming and entrusted me with one of Mrs. Radley's necklaces. Afterwards, I walked back home in the watery snow and ate dinner. I sat with Mr. Avery and we discussed the weather and tried to keep from speaking of the recent tragic death. A day later, as I sat on my isolated rocking chair, Jem and Scout trecked to my front porch.
“Ms. Maudie, might you let us borrow some of your snow?” asked Jem.
“Well of course. Just use that basket over there.” I pointed near the end of the porch and Jem retrieved the basket.
I watched Jem and Scout roll mud ingenuously and cover it with snow in an attempt to make a snowman. Once they were almost finished, I went inside to make some warm tea. When I returned outside, I was shocked to see my sun hat and hedge-clipper being used as decor for the muddy snowman.
“Jem, you devil, bring me back my sun hat now!” I yelled in anger.
Atticus, being all too proud of Jem, strolled over to have a debate with me about Jem's actions.
That night, it was the coldest night in Maycomb for as long as I can remember living here. I secured a cloth over my plants to keep them warm. I also left a nice fire going for them in that room. Maybe around twelve thirty in the morning I was awakened by an extreme heat and a shriek from outside. I quickly realized that a fire was spreading through my home. I ran outside to find help and saw that there were a couple of neighbors outside, and a few had already called the fire department. In a matter of a few minutes most of the neighborhood had woken up to see what was going on and were trying to help by splashing buckets of water until the firefighters arrived.
Because of the freezing cold and snow, the firetrucks needed to be pushed by many men to my home across town. By the time it got there, Mr. Avery who was still in my home, had realized what was going on and was planning his escape.
“Mr. Avery, you're gonna have to hurry sir, the stairs are being destroyed!” people screamed, trying to coax him out of the burning house faster.
With his quick thinking, he climbed out of the window and slid down a pipe on the side of the house and fell in a flower bed. Tired children in the crowd, wandered around looking very perplexed as to what was going on. For a second I saw Jem and Scout quivering by the Radley house. I turned back to my house and noticed that the fire had nearly gone out but there was nothing left for the firefighters to save.
“Ms. Maudie, you can stay with me 'til this all clears up,” Stephanie Crawford offered.
“I'd love to, thank you very much Stephanie,” I agreed gratefully.
The next day, Jem and Scout told me how sorry they were for me losing my house.
“Well, I'm not all that said. I've always wanted a smaller house,” I admitted.
“Why?” The children seemed very puzzled at this.
“Because a smalled house always comes with a big yard which means more room for my flowers and room for my dream garden.”
They still did not seem to understand but they knew my passion for gardening and asked no more questions.

2 comments:

dan said...

I think you start out really good and you put alot of deatail in your blog. i think you put really good words in your blog like how you try not to use the same words.
i like how you put your carchter in place you didn't even now that they went thier. i like how you put your charchter's quotes more noticebly

Grace said...

I love the beginning because it's similar to the actual one and I like how you actually said the description of the snow compared to autumn. You can really tell how sweet and kind Miss Maudie is by reading this. I like how the parts where Miss Maudie isn't specificly mentioned, you had her see the things that were happening in the book from her point of view. I really liked how you showed her emotion after the fire and how she didn't mind because of her passion for gardening.