CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, March 1, 2009

A Long Way Gone: Post 4

Quote #1: "My nickname was green snake because I would situate myself in the most advantageous and sneaky positions and would take out a whole village from under the tiniest shrub without being noticed." ~Narrator/Author Ishmael Beah, page 144
Significance #1: I think that this shows that Ishmael was actually getting used to killing people and was getting good at it. At this point in the book he realizes that he is skilled at killing and following orders. I think that this also shows that the rebels can brainwash any person, even if they have very strong morals and a strong conscious like Ishmael.
Character Judgement: It seems to me like the soldiers have brainwashed Ishmael so badly into the point where he thinks that killing is all he is good at and he is killing for a better cause. Deep down, I think that Ishmael knows that what he is doing is wrong and that he has a choice.
Question: Do you think that Ishmael's attitude towards killing will affect his life later on?
Quote #2: "We were dangerous and brainwashed to kill." Narrator/Author Ishmael Beah, page 134
Significance #2: Just like my first quote sited, this also shows Ishmael's expirience with the soldiers. I think that unlike the last quote, this quote shows how Ishmael regrets being how he was and wishes that he could take back the things he did. Since he is older in this quote, he understands that the rebels were horrible and that what he did was wrong.
Personal Connection #1: I can connect to this quote because I have done things that I have regreted doing. Nothing like what Ishmael has to carry around on his shoulders. Just like Ishmael, it took me some time to realize what I did was wrong and that I regreted doig it.
Question #2: Do you think that Ishmael was only able to break away from his brainwash because he escaped or do you think that he finally had a break-through.

3 comments:

Michael said...

Quote #1: I agree with you partially because I think he is saying that he can kill but does not want to be known for killing. Just like a sniper, they are not known for the kills but for the precision. I agree with you on how the rebels can brainwash anyone if they wanted to.

Question #1: I wouldn't say that Ishmael's like is going to be affect by this but I think how he thinks and his view on death will be.

Quote #2: I think he is trying to say that the rebels are brainwashing/changing them to a dangerous level. They are creating killing machines that will stop at nothing and that is the wrong thing to do. He is saying that the rebels need to watch out before they go to far on brainwashing and the brainwashees take over.

Question #2: I think he just found his moral side, he found that killing isn't right. Brainwashing is only covering up whats underneath and I think he just cleared that layer and found the right side.

vincent said...

Quote#1: I agree with you about how the soldiers brainwashed Ishmael and all he knows is to kill. Like he is a robot and he is programming has told him to kill and only kill.
Question#1: I think that his attitude towards killing will affect him later in his life.
Quote#2: I also agree with you that he was brainwashed to kill and he finally relaised that he was brainwashed, but by the time he relaize this it was to late and he killed a lot people.
Question#2: I think was he escaped and had a break-through to break the brainwash programming he had on him.

Olivia A said...

Quote #1: I think that the killing has really gotten to his head now. I think he is doing it now just to make himself feel better about the rebels killing his family and friends.
Question #1: I think that his attitude about killing and the ways he has killed people are going to come back and haunt him. I think that he is going to change when he gets out of the warzone.

Quote #2: I think he was finally realizing what he was doing was wrong. In other words he finally had his "breakthrough"
Question #2: I think he broke away long enough from being brainwashed to realize what he was doing was wrong. Then he may have made the desicion to escape or get rescued.